Life&Style Writer Todd Murray kicks off our new aesthetics series by detailing how to achieve the preppy aesthetic

Written by Todd Murray
Undergraduate studying a BA in Political Science and International Relations from South Wales.

The preppy style emerged in the 1950s, coming from the students of prestigious preparatory schools in North America. A staple of the culture of Americana, the preppy style took uniforms and smart wear and made it more fun and wearable for young people. However, for many years the preppy look was to be worn just by preppies, people who went to prestigious private schools and top universities because of the price tag and the status that the preppy style carried. The icons of preppy style are those such as Jackie Kennedy and her husband JFK, Audrey Hepburn and Rock Hudson. Ryan Reynolds has a strong penchant for wearing preppy clothing and the modern royals Kate Middleton and Prince William are known for their preppy stylings. Of course Gossip Girl is also filled to the brim with preppy style. The aesthetic is known for it’s highly priced labels turning to designers such as Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs and the like. However, preppy style has risen again, and can be achieved without paying such high prices.

The icons of preppy style are those such as Jackie Kennedy and her husband JFK, Audrey Hepburn and Rock Hudson.

So, how can you create a preppy look?

The preppy look is about clean and soft lines, that is the main rule. Colours are traditionally navy, crimson and white but as long as you style it right the colour palette is up to you and your own comfort . To create your preppy style, I would encourage you to change it up and to experiment.

First things first. Oxford shirts. The staple of the preppy style, whether you go for the ASOS shirt or the classic Ralph Lauren, make sure that it fits you properly. In my opinion a well fitting shirt from a charity shop is much more appealing than an ill fitting shirt from an expensive brand.

A well fitting shirt from a charity shop is much more appealing than an ill fitting shirt from an expensive brand

The Oxford shirt can be swapped out for a classic polo shirt, these can be found anywhere from River Island to George at ASDA to Tommy Hilfiger. My favourite are knitted cotton polo shirts, they’re comfortable to wear and simply stylish. Something that oozes preppy style is the simple white crew neck, a well fitted white t-shirt is essential to any preppy style wardrobe.

That’s the top’s down, but what about bottoms? Well, chinos are the classic choice of trouser for a preppy style. I would recommend ASOS or River Island for a good selection of chinos and again it is all about how well they fit. Preppy style is no longer in the 50s though so jeans are perfectly acceptable, even encouraged to wear to style your preppy aesthetic. In the summer Oxford shorts are the norm, but chino and denim shorts are still an easy option.

What if it’s chilly out? Good question, the preppy look is all about layering. You can never go wrong with a good cardigan, a cable knit sweater is a good way to go too. Perhaps a sweater vest, which is seemingly coming back into fashion. Personally, I love a half zip sweater, an effortless and timeless preppy classic. Crew and v-neck sweaters are a good addition to a preppy wardrobe too. In the warmer weather you can pull the classic prepped up move and throw the jumper over your shoulders and gently tie it at the chest.

The preppy look used to require a blazer, it was essential. I still love to wear a blazer from time to time but I do believe that the days of its necessity are over. But, in many cases it really can pull the look together. Whether you go for the classic navy or tweed blazer or you change things up and wear one with a wilder pattern and design, it’s up to you.

It used to be a loafers and boat shoes sort of crowd but you can pretty much wear whatever shoes if you style them right. I love throwing my Air Force Ones into the preppy look to shake things up a little.

I like to wear a wax jacket from time to time to make the look a little less polished, but in terms of jackets and coats a well fitting puffer jacket or raincoat are a great go to.

Remember the golden rule: all leather must be the same colour

Time to talk accessories. Wearing a watch with your look already increases your preppy aesthetic, whether it’s a smartwatch or a classic leather strap. Remember the golden rule: all leather must be the same colour so think watch, belt and shoes. For the ladies a preppy classic is a headband, think Blair Waldorff style. Jewellery can increase your ‘preppiness’, my favourite to wear is a Tom Hope anchor bracelet. For the Gents a classic accessory is a tie or bow tie, my go to for these is Moss Bros. which also offers student discounts through Unidays. In the Autumn/Winter a tartan scarf is a brilliant addition to your look. Berets are often seen in a preppy look, as is a classic baseball cap. But, experiment, play about with different accessories and as long as you enjoy the outfit, go for it.

So, go and watch Glee and Gossip Girl, look at Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger collections – get inspired and get your preppy aesthetic ready to wear.

Read More From Life&Style:

Top Television Character Fashion Icons

Top 5: Collars and Ties Guide

Dressing for a Pandemic: Post-Lockdown Fashion Predictions

Harry Styles: The So-Called Revolutionary Who is Championing Gender-Neutral Fashion