Food and Drink Editor Cara-Louise Scott discusses the anger and betrayal felt by the public when it comes to Boris Johnson’s ‘Partygate’ fiasco, arguing that we are in desperate need of change

I am a third year English and creative writing student who loves reading, writing and travelling! I am the current Digital Editor and a former Food&Drink editor <3
Images by Marvin Meyer

Content Warning: This article mentions upsetting themes relating to death and the pandemic

Guardian writer Rory Kinnear recently shared his feelings towards the Government lockdown party and how it felt like an attack against the stance that we ‘were all in it together.’ Yet this is not for any small reason. This is because on the day of No 10’s lockdown party, Rory Kinnear buried his sister. His sister who died from Covid-19. Kinnear quotes the Government about them recovering from an ‘exceptionally busy period…to make the most of the lovely weather’ to show how horrific such a situation is, whilst he was living through hell and trying to keep others safe. Although he could not hug his mother and sister in the face of grief, the ones who had implemented these rules were breaking them ‘just under two miles’ away from his home.

Despite Kinnear expressing his own personal story, he believes that ‘many others’ will agree with him and I think this is very much true. It seems that many people are angry at the Government and, in particular, Boris himself for breaking their own lockdown rules – but is this enough to change the system? 

On the 20th May 2020, Boris Johnson held a garden party at No 10 in which 100 people were invited. While Boris Johnson apologised to the nation for his mistakes, he still argues that ‘nobody said this was something against the rules’, despite the fact that the lockdown was still taking place during this time. However, there is pressure on the PM, as one Conservative MP told Sky News that things are close in terms of reaching the required 54 letters to trigger a vote of no-confidence in his leadership. In addition to this, his latest interview was described as a ‘bad amateur dramatics performance.’  An ongoing investigation into the parties and gatherings at Downing Street during Covid-19 restrictions are currently taking place, and this could determine the future of Boris Johnson’s power as Prime Minister. If even members of the Government are working against him, what does it show that the rest of the country feels?

The Prime Minister is facing calls for his resignation, and as I am sure many people will agree, it is about time he stepped down. It is too often that Boris and his Government are making mistakes, and these are not just small mistakes – they are costing people their lives. Kinnear’s story, like the stories of many others, show how Covid-19 was very much something to be cautious about.

It is too often that Boris and his Government are making mistakes, and these aren’t just small mistakes – they are costing people their lives

While I am sure that there were some people who would have broken the rules during the lockdown, Boris’ party seems to be presenting more than just an incident that breaks rules. It is telling of a government plastered in hypocrisy and too much un-monitored power. If someone broke the rules during lockdown, they were fined, but up until now, Boris faced no punishment for his actions and still refuses to show any genuine condolences for his hypocritical ways.

We followed the rules. We got through this together. Yet, there is something unnerving to know that whilst we stayed inside, lacked social contact, and suffered through months of unstable mental wellbeing as a sacrifice to keep others safe, the ones who told us to do this broke their own rules. They had fun whilst we locked ourselves away. How is that fair?

Boris faced no punishment for his actions, and still refuses to show any genuine condolences for his hypocritical ways

A BBC article asked people their opinions on the matter and many said they did not feel it was right that he was not ‘tak[ing] responsibility for [his] actions’ for his actions.’ I think this sums up the anger and frustration people have about how unfair it is of the sacrifices we made when the ones making the rules could do what they want with no consequences at the time. Can we trust our own government after this hypocritical incident? At the time we put our trust in the Government to do what they said and to trust that they would keep us safe, but now our trust in them seems to be wavering. I think it is safe to say that there are many issues with our government, and our trust in them is what we must question in the face of a revolt against the hypocrisy of Boris. It is time to punish those in power for misleading the public. It is time they take responsibility for their wrongdoings. It is time we change the system.

More From Comment:

Subpar Housing in Selly Oak: The Normalisation of Gross Student Houses

Environmental Journalism is More Than Just Climate Change

Spotlight On: Hidden Disabilities