Redbrick’s Emily Breeds reviews Starbucks’ new Blonde Roast and Cereal Latte

Written by Emily Breeds
English student and Writers' Bloc's Journal Editor.
Images by Max Pixel

For someone that decides to blow all their student loan on Starbucks, new limited-edition drinks are one of the few things that bring me joy in life. Starbucks have recently introduced two new drinks: the ‘Blonde Roast’ and the ‘Cereal Latte,’ so of course I taste-tested them.

‘Blonde Roast’

The ‘Blonde Roast’ is essentially a lighter roast of coffee, described by Starbucks as ‘mellow, yet still packs a punch’. Starbucks give you the option of using the ‘Blonde Roast’ in any of your favourite drinks, or even mixing it with the ‘Signature Roast.’ I tried the Blonde in a latte and in my all-time favourite, caramel macchiato. For someone that isn’t that keen on super-strong coffee, I really enjoyed the ‘Blonde Roast.’ The flavours of coffee still came through, but the taste of it was not overwhelming as I often find with regular coffee. I hope Starbucks continue to sell it alongside the ‘Signature Roast,’ as it is great. 

A tiny bit of cereal is sprinkled on top, which didn’t add anything except for getting caught in my teeth and feeling really weird mixed in my mouth with the coffee

‘Cereal Latte’

Starbucks’ vegan ‘Cereal Latte’ is topped with cereal and uses oat milk and cereal powder to create a ‘comforting latte’ that will evoke ‘nostalgic memories from your childhood’. The limited-edition drink was mediocre. It was nice in that it tasted like cereal milk, but it was odd mixed with coffee. The coffee flavour was overpowered by the milky flavour of the drink, and the fact that the main flavour was milk meant it tasted very weak. A tiny bit of cereal is sprinkled on top, which didn’t add anything except for getting caught in my teeth and feeling really weird mixed in my mouth with the coffee. Overall, I wasn’t the biggest fan of this drink, but if you are obsessed with the taste of cereal milk and also need a caffeine fix, the Cereal Latte is the one for you.