Alice Wibberley reports on the return of the Selly Express following uncertainty over its future at the start of 2019

Written by Alice Wibberley
Images by Redbrick

The Selly Express has returned after its first successful year. It offers students free, scheduled bus trips from the library to selected student roads during the evenings from Monday to Friday.

The service, funded through the Community Wardens scheme, was introduced in response to safety concerns about the popular student area of Selly Oak.

The Community Wardens (a joint venture between the Guild and UoB) is funded in grants from the University, which the Guild then uses to fund the Selly Express. 

Redbrick reported doubts over the future of the Selly Express in January after a Facebook post from 2018-19 Guild President Reece Patrick Roberts stating that no further funding had been secured for the service.

However, in June 2019, Roberts revealed via the Guild of Students Facebook page that the University would put £55,000 into the Selly Express and Not On, the University and Guild’s anti-sexual harassment campaign.

The Selly Express will be here to stay

‘The Selly Express will be here to stay,’ he stated in the video.

Some students have had issues with the service. Third-year BA Geography student Josie Hart wanted a ‘proper sign’ to show where the express leaves from.

She said that she once waited around in the dark for a bus that did not show up on time, and concluded that she ‘spent more time waiting than it would have taken to walk home.’

Second-year student Mark Butler, who recently moved to Selly Oak, stated that he did not know where the bus left from or ‘what roads it would stop at.’ He said that this discouraged him from attempting to use the service. The Selly Express leaves from the library every 45 minutes from 8:00 pm – 12:30 am, Monday to Friday during term time. The service is free. For more information on the roads served, please check the Guild of Students’ website.