Following reports of sexual harassment on the Vale that have been circulated on social media, Redbrick reached out to the University of Birmingham (UoB), the Guild and several societies, such as Women in Politics and Reclaimcampus_uob, for comments

Written by Anastasis Mauriac

Rape kits were distributed to students at the Vale reception by the university on Tuesday 16th March. The Vale reception states that  ‘the university is working hard to ensure our students safety.’ 

The university sent a personal safety message and video to all accommodation residents on March 12th as part of the accommodation newsletter. It has increased security presence overnight 7 days a week and there is a police officer who works solely across campus whom students can contact. Moreover, they are working with the Guild to reintroduce the Selly Express bus from Monday 22nd March, a free evening shuttle bus service from campus to Selly Oak. 

A first-year student told Redbrick: ‘Although I can see that the university is attempting to make some difference, the response is incredibly vague and falls short.’

The response is incredibly vague and falls short

‘Instead of focusing on the university itself, they have focused on victims and how they can keep themselves safe. This language re-enforces victim-blaming and ignores the integral role that the University has in keeping its students safe.’ 

‘The university should focus on training its staff when responding to sexual violence and safety concerns, competent security guards who prioritise women’s safety, as well as having a strict policy in place to support victims in recording the crimes and getting resolutions. Without a concrete plan, these are just words with no legitimate impact, leaving the students on campus to be continually vulnerable and unsupported.’

On Wednesday 17th March a peaceful protest was organized by first years on the Vale, participants had to wear a mask and carry a candle as a form of solidarity. There was a  large turnout of all genders and for three hours, women and non-binary students shared their stories of sexual assaults and harassment. Three male students also shared their story, or spoke in order to show their support, including Guild president-elect, Mikey Brown. 

He told Redbrick: ‘it was inspiring and moving to see so many people […] The courageous testimony so many people shared demonstrates that the scourge of violence against women and girls is endemic in our society.’ 

‘Our university has significant work to do in ensuring our campus is a safe environment for all, and believing and supporting survivors and ensuring decisive action is taken against those perpetrating such despicable acts.’

Our university has significant work to do in ensuring our campus is a safe environment for all

‘Furthermore, there are steps the Guild must take as we return to in-person activities to ensure it is a safe place such as allowing anonymous reporting of misconduct and misogyny in societies which are then thoroughly investigated and introducing the “Ask for Angela” or similar safeword scheme to its venues so women can access discreet help during nights out.’ 

A protestor said: ‘I have never been to this kind of protest before but it was close to where I live so it was a great opportunity. It was harsh to hear all these stories of these girls who live next to me and who always seem happy.’

An Instagram account (@reclaimcampus_uob) was created for the occasion. The group behind the creation of this account describe themselves as ‘a group of girls who, like every other girl on campus, are so tired of its being normalised to be scared all the time and the harassment that we face on a daily basis to face no consequences. We feel it’s the university responsibility to protect us and create pathways for us to report assaults but they have failed consistently.’

After the death of Sarah Everard, the society Women in Politics wrote an open letter to the Vice Chancellor. The open letter currently has over a thousand signatures. They wrote that ‘the safety of women is paramount considering the recent tragic murder of Sarah Everard. For many students at this university, they may feel unsafe being outside and for many, Birmingham is their home or home away from home. 

‘What is particularly troublesome is that the Vale Village has a duty of care to many vulnerable first years and the inaction towards the harassment of women is disgraceful and our open letter to the VC is one of the way we hope can make the university prioritise how they safeguard women on campus, the wider university area and in Selly Oak.’

Charlotte Minter, the Guild’s Welfare and Community Officer, issued the following statement to Redbrick: ‘Myself and my fellow Officers were saddened to learn of the incidents that were reported on social media on Tuesday 16th March. We know that the University have asked any students with information to come forward.

‘The Guild would also urge anyone who has suffered any kind of crime, to report the incident, and also to seek help and support to help them come to terms with what they have been through. Guild Advice can offer support and guidance to any student who needs it on a range of different topics, and can be reached via the Guild’s website.’ 

‘The vigil held on Wednesday 17th March at the Vale, looked to be a really powerful moment and it was reassuring to see our students coming together, while recognising social distancing measures.’ 

‘If any students would like to remember the victims of sexual assault and reflect on what has happened previously, but would currently prefer not to be in a place with lots of people around, the Guild are holding an online vigil; Reclaim Birmingham, with students and Officers from Birmingham City University, on Friday 19th March at 6pm. Full details can be found on our website.’

The university posted the following statement on their website: ‘We understand that there has also been some concerning stories being circulated on social media about safety around campus in recent days, and appreciate the anxiety that this causes.

‘We would like to reassure you that we have received no reports to our Security Services or to West Midlands Police of any incidents at the Vale as described in some social media accounts.  We would ask if anyone does have any information that they let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure appropriate support is put in place and an investigation can be started quickly.’ 

Where we have received reports of student safety concerns we have acted promptly

‘Where we have received reports of student safety concerns we have acted promptly to support individual students and continue to work closely with the West Midlands Police.’

If you need to report harassment or assault on campus you can call security services on 0121 414 3000 or email them on securitycontrol@contacts.bham.ac.uk.

Like this article? Here are more from News: 

Cadbury Classic Coming Home to Bournville

Guild Elections 2021: President

University Teaching in Wales to Remain Online Until After Easter