Tongue in cheek and full of cheer, Music Critic Sammy Andrews reviews the stockport band’s festive double A-side single release

MA Shakespeare Studies student
Images by Umberto Cofini

Its November, Christmas decorations are slowly creeping their way up as a splash of cheer in what has been a testing year to say the least. Possibly too early for Christmas songs some may say, but Blossoms (and I) would have to disagree. The release of their double A-side ‘Christmas Eve (Soul Purpose)/It’s Going to Be A Cold Winter’ shines in its festive filled melodies. Moving between the graceful and beautiful elements of wintertime to the oddly cynical and humorous parts of the holiday season, the songs are full of joy and the festive pick-me-up that 2020 so desperately needs.

the songs are full of joy and the festive pick-me-up that 2020 so desperately needs

There are some real moments of beauty within the double A side, mainly within ‘Christmas Eve (Soul Purpose)’. Led by the repetitive bells, it immediately situates you in a festive place, but the melodies develop in such a gentle way that the song takes on a certain charm. Delving into themes of love and warmth surrounding the Christmas scene, ‘Christmas Eve (Soul Purpose)’ is a beautiful testament to falling in love. Most notably, in the chorus the introduction of harmonies from the Stockport Junior Voices Choir is truly magical. There is a whimsy and charm to the song that sparkles with festive joy and cosiness.

Blossoms are having fun playing with different musical influences and a sense of humour

Yet, for all of the romantic charm that they have displayed, Blossoms take a tongue-in-cheek and comical approach within ‘It’s Going to Be A Cold Winter.’ The opening of the song bursts with riffs that echo that of The Waitresses ‘Christmas Wrapping.’ This allusion is certainly not missed in the cynicism towards the Christmas season that bridges them. Once again, bells carry the melodies, but this is a much more upbeat and fun song, led with comical and mundane remarks in the lyrics such as ‘Where’s the end of the Sellotape?’ What makes this song so much fun, to me, is that it does not take itself too seriously. Blossoms are having fun playing with different musical influences and a sense of humour that shines out as particularly pertinent to this year’s mood.

This is not the first time that Blossoms have released Christmas music, with them releasing a cover of Paul McCartney’s ‘Wonderful Christmastime’ back in 2018. But what stands out about ‘Christmas Eve (Soul Purpose)/It’s Going to Be A Cold Winter’ is that it is packed full of joy. Even in its more tender or more cynical moments, there is an uplifting atmosphere that is maintained and shines through. These songs are a joyful antidote to a trying year and could never have arrived too early.

Christmas Eve (Soul Purpose) and It’s Going to Be A Cold Winter are available now via Universal Music

You Might Also Like

Album Review: Kylie Minogue – DISCO

Single Review: Dua Lipa & Angèle – Fever

Album Review: Bring Me The Horizon – POST HUMAN: SURVIVAL HORROR