Music Critic Minnie Life reviews ‘Fever,’ the new single from Dua Lipa & Angèle, describing it as a track that will get people onto the dance floor

Third year student currently studying American and Canadian Studies. I enjoy writing about music, film and culture!
Images by blocks

‘Fever’ is the newest single by British pop sensation Dua Lipa, as part of the ever-growing universe of her hugely popular 2020 album Future Nostalgia, which was personally one of my favourite albums of the year thus far.

I liked that Dua spotlighted Angèle, thereby using her platform to highlight wider musical worlds that do not get enough recognition in this country

The single features Belgian pop star Angèle, who offers up French verse to the sultry, Europop inspired dance track. I thought it was an interesting choice of Dua’s to feature a non-English speaking pop star, allowing Angèle to express herself in her native language. Pop music particularly in the U.K tends to be extremely Anglo-centric, so much so that we forget that there is a world of music in a multitude of languages available for us to discover. Therefore, I liked that Dua spotlighted Angèle, thereby using her platform to highlight wider musical worlds that do not get enough recognition in this country.

At first listen, however, I must admit I did not know how I felt about the single. In my opinion, it did not hold up with the rest of the astounding work Dua Lipa has been putting out this year. However, it has to be said that this single is a grower, made all the more endearing by the song’s music video that features the two pop stars laughing and dancing and singing their way through the streets of London on the way home from a night out.

‘Fever’ has a Latin feel, with synths and drumbeats pulsating over an extremely catchy chorus. I can guarantee that Dua’s hook of ‘I’ve got a fever/ Can you check? / Hand on my forehead/ Kiss my neck’ will worm its way into your brain whether you want it to or not.

I have a feeling that once clubs can re-open once more, ‘Fever’ will be a track that will get people onto the dance floor.

You Might Also Like

Album Review: Dua Lipa – Future Nostalgia

Album Review: Superbloom – Ashton Irwin

Maisie Peters Holds a Press Conference About Her Latest Single