Comment Editor Emma Gilland reports on the death of Matthew Perry as well as describing the legacy of his life and what he was well known for

Written by emmagilland

Trigger warning: death

Following the death of actor Matthew Perry on the 28th October, there has been an outpouring of grief and tributes across social media.

The actor, best known for his work as Chandler Bing in the American Sitcom ‘Friends’, was found dead in his Los Angeles home, after reportedly drowning in his hot tub. 

Since the announcement, actors and fans have taken to social media platforms to reflect on the life and career of the 54-year-old. David Schwimmer, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and Jennifer Aniston worked together for over 10 years on the hit sitcom ‘Friends’

In a joint statement, they described how ‘absolutely devastated’ they were to hear of Perry’s passing. 

‘We were more than just castmates. We are a family.’

‘We were more than just castmates. We are a family,’ said the quintet. ‘There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss.’

Perry had a difficult history with addiction and struggled with mental health issues throughout his adult life. Reports suggest that he had issues with alcohol abuse from the age of 14. 

However, it is not believed he was going through a dangerous period. Due to the immense work to overcome his addiction, he was described as healthy, ‘happy and chipper’ before his death.

During the later years of his life, he became remembered not just for his roles in Hollywood, but also his aid to others who struggled with addiction. This was explicit in his memoir, released last year. 

‘When I die, as far as my so-called accomplishments go, it would be nice if Friends were listed far behind the things I did to try to help other people,’ said Perry. ‘I know it won’t happen, but it would be nice.’

He discussed his personal struggle against alcoholism and addiction in his auto-biography, but also through establishing The Perry House; a men’s sober living facility overlooking the Malibu pier. It ran successfully for over two years before Perry sold the property in 2015 for over $10million dollars, stating it was too expensive to run. 

The cause of his death is currently under medical investigation, as the suspected drowning appears to have been influenced by pre-existing factors. At the time of his death, he was sober and actively participating in the AA program,’ and there were no indications of foul play. Consequently, the reports on his demise are pending a more comprehensive forensic report to confirm the precise cause.

Many see Matthew Perry as having a significant impact on Millennials and Generation Z, with the success of Friends having a considerable role in shaping 21st century pop culture. He is considered to have created an ‘archetypal character’, acting as a ‘role model’ for millennials.

Perry’s funeral was held 3rd November, and was attended by his Friends co-stars.

Read more News Articles here:

Evidence of Physical Injuries No Longer Needed to Prove Rape

Southeast Asians Workers caught in Israel-Hamas Conflict

Pro-Palestine protest on university campus following Israeli counteroffensive against Hamas