In preparation for the chilly season ahead, Life&Style’s Katie McDonagh picks out her favourite winter coats to cover any style

A second year English student
Images by Joshua Hanson

The Funky One: ASOS

ASOS’s own brand animal print coat is super on trend at the moment and will jazz up any outfit over the Christmas season. The burnt orange colour and big collar will definitely make a statement as you stroll through the chilly streets of Selly. At the moment the coat is reduced and very in demand, so get it whilst it is still in stock!

The Local One: Sheanies

Whilst a brand new coat for Christmas is exciting, shopping second hand is best for the environment

Whilst a brand new coat for Christmas is exciting, shopping second hand is best for the environment. By purchasing any jacket at Sheanies you are not only supporting a local business, but also will not be contributing to the fast fashion trade. Whilst there are loads of coats on the website, the specific one linked gives you the opportunity to re-enact one of the best Christmas music videos ever made (WHAM’s ‘Last Christmas’) and will keep you warm on the coldest of festival nights in the summer.

The Sustainable One: Tommy Hilfiger

Whilst Tommy Hilfiger’s puffer jacket is expensive, it is definitely an investment piece that will last you many winters to come. The coat comes in five different colours depending on how adventurous you are feeling, from a simple black to a bright pink. With a thin scarf and cute wedge boots, this coat is ideal for the classic Boxing Day walk and beyond. If this was not a big enough incentive to add to your Christmas list, the puffer is part of Hilfiger’s sustainable range as it is made of recycled textiles, carpets, or fishing nets. Get it whilst it is part of their Cyber Week promotion for 20% off and the company will donate a portion of the sale to charity.

The Glamorous One: Missguided

Once we are allowed back out after lockdown is lifted, a fancy coat is needed, whether that is for a trip to the pub or drinks with the girls. The overlined coat is a soft faux fur, so as well as being fashionable it is super comfy too. This would look really cute with a crop top and jeans, adding that extra level of glam to any outfit (even if it is just to go down to the pub).

The Expensive One: The North Face

With the cutest range of colours…you are paying for fashion as well as comfort

Okay, initially, the price of this coat may appear extortionate, but with down fill to keep you warm and a durable water repellent, the North Face Nuptse jacket is one of the best options to keep you cosy whilst you are freezing in your high-ceiling Selly house. With the cutest range of colours such as mesa rose or ethereal blue, you are paying for fashion as well as comfort with this coat.

The Cool One: Topshop

Available in both tall and petite, the black biker jacket is the ultimate cool-girl coat. Pair it with some classy heels or a bold print and you will be set for a night out, or maybe a night in depending on Birmingham’s decided tier. Currently the jacket is in the sale and selling out quickly, so best to snap it up quick.

Like this? Check out more on fashion from Life&Style:

How to Successfully Style a Scarf

Emily in Paris: Top Ten Looks

Winter Fashion Trends of 2020