Life&Style Writer Nicole Haynes makes her fashion predictions for the coming season

Written by nicolehayness
Images by StockSnaps

The events of 2020 have left many of us disinterested in fashion all-together or, on the other end of the spectrum, left many of our bank accounts empty from a ridiculous amount of online shopping. However, with Autumn already well underway, and some of us beginning to venture out of the house again (at a safe two metre distance of course), we can see certain trends making an appearance this Winter. Here are my top picks for this season:

1- The Leather Blazer 

Soaring in sales this Autumn, the 90s style leather blazer is more popular than ever, and can be easily found second-hand at charity shops and vintage stores alike. Styled with jeans and trainers for a more relaxed look, or with a slip dress and boots for an evening out, the leather blazer is a staple this Winter. 

2- Camel Tones 

Earthy tones will never not look good, and they are on the rise this season. Perhaps one of the easiest ways to look put together is this monochromatic look, reminiscent of the 60s era. Alternatively you can throw on a camel coloured coat over virtually anything and it will never fail to look chic. 

3- The Sweater Vest 

Tiktok’s surge in popularity over lockdown has resulted in new fashion trends emerging on our high-street. A major one I have spotted this year is the grandad-style sweater vest. Yes, I promise you can wear this even if you’re not going golfing! Styled over a t-shirt and cigarette trousers for an academic look, or even with a bucket hat and utility pants for an edgy look, the sweater vest is the hot (and cosy) trend this winter. 

4- The Shacket or ‘Coatigan’

Perfect for that mid-season, not-quite-cold-enough-for-a-coat weather. This hybrid is making a comeback with designers choosing to exhibit wearable pieces on their catwalks more than ever. The shacket is sure to come in handy for many winters to come. Undeniably cool, this casual jacket looks perfect layered over jeans, or even leggings, for a comfy winter look.

5- The Statement Collar 

On the rise this Winter, the statement collar is soaring in popularity, seen on runways and the high-street alike. Whether it’s styled subtly peeking out over a jumper, or dramatically incorporated onto a dress or shirt already, the statement collar is an easy way to add a 70s vibe to an everyday outfit. 

6- The Long Coat 

A personal favourite of mine, a long winter coat never goes out of style, and makes you look effortlessly cool. You can never go wrong with a classic trench (see Kate Moss in her Burberry for an idea), or a slouchier styled long coat. Its sophisticated silhouette will make even the most basic outfits look classy. 

7- The Face Mask 

Last but definitely not least, the most essential item in your winter wardrobe this year has to be the face mask. Although more of a necessity rather than an accessory, you can definitely wear a face mask and still look cool doing so. By supporting independent businesses you can pick up some super unique designs, or, if you’re feeling crafty, make your own! Certain designers like Ralph Lauren have also released masks which donate all profit to the World Health Organisation or other charities. This way you can still get that designer look but support a good cause at the same time. 

Like this? Read more from Life & Style Below:

Spotlight On: The ELLE List 2020

Fashion in Film: Iconic Movies That Never Go Out of Style

Dressing for a Pandemic: Post-Lockdown Fashion Predictions