Life & Style Editor Emma Stephenson considers some of the potentially detrimental effects of Scottish independence, suggesting that it is undesirable for both Scotland and the UK at large

Life&Style Print Editor

The Scottish have always been a patriotic people since the time of Braveheart and Rob Roy MacGregor to the present. This nationalism has been visible in their repeated calls for independence over the last 50 years since the Scotland Act was passed in 1979. Scotland’s fierce patriotism manifests in a stubbornness to accept defeat, namely the defeat of the Scottish independence referendum of 2014 where 55% of Scottish voters chose to remain a member of the United Kingdom. Since then, situations have changed and the UK has left the European Union against the wishes of most of Scotland. However, cutting ties with the United Kingdom now could force Scotland to face major repercussions, which their arguably  tunnel-visioned fantasy of independence does not consider. I would like to make clear that I am neither an economist nor a politician, but these are the observations which make it clear to me that independence is not as desirable as it may at first seem. 

Cutting ties with the United Kingdom now could force Scotland to face major repercussions, which their arguably  tunnel-visioned fantasy of independence does not consider

Firstly, if Scotland were to leave the UK, there is no guarantee they could jump straight back into the EU. The process of regaining membership would undoubtedly be long and costly, a length of time the small country could arguably not sustain without support. What’s more, supposing they did regain membership, Sturgeon would be a very small fish in a large pond. With a population of under 5.5 million, Scotland would be in among the 10 smallest countries who are members of the EU and as such, would not gain the power and voice they  may believe is attainable. 

While the Scottish economy has taken a hit from Brexit, as has the economy nationwide, independence from the UK could cost Scotland £11bn in losses per year, a figure which is double the impact of leaving the EU. At the end of the day, Britain is the biggest trade partner that Scotland has and independence would inevitably cut the country off from that source of income. Another economic factor to consider is currency. If Scotland were to leave the UK they would likely no longer be entitled to use the British Pound, and the Scottish Pound would surely cease to be recognised tender in England. The global value of the pound is also valuable to Scotland, placing them in a much better position than if they had to start again with a brand new currency which, at present, is no less theoretical than monopoly money. 

Additionally, the Scots must not neglect the social benefits that come with being a part of the UK. Currently Scottish citizens get to attend Scottish universities for free, their fees funded by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). If Scotland were to leave the UK and rejoin the EU then they would be required to offer free tuition to other UK countries as well as other EU countries in order to avoid accusations of discrimination. The question then would be, is this something they can afford?  Another UK scheme I am sure the Scottish population would not want to forgo is the availability of the NHS. The Scottish Government currently spends around £14bn on the NHS each year, a cost they would struggle to maintain on the taxes of Scottish taxpayers alone. Without the finances of the British taxpayers, Scotland would need to majorly rearrange their social provisions while factoring in EU membership payments if they were to pursue that route. 

Finally, I believe it to be a political necessity for British democracy to maintain a variety of parties and oppositions – just look at the struggles of the USA with a two-party system. If the Scottish were to become independent, they would forfeit their seats in the UK parliament, weakening the overall diversity within parliament and pushing the nation closer to a two-party system. 

Without caution, it may increase hostility within the UK, and perhaps some division is already evident

Not only is independence seemingly undesirable for Scotland, but the issue of Scottish Independence is divisive within the UK at large. Without caution, it may increase hostility within the UK, and perhaps some division is already evident. Recently Sturgeon, who defied coronavirus restrictions herself by not wearing a face covering at a wake, criticised the Prime Minister for visiting a laboratory producing vaccines in Scotland, questioning whether it was essential travel. This challenge to the Prime Minister entering Scottish territory could be seen as a display of hostility and a premature attitude of independence, despite the Prime Minister being within his jurisdiction to visit Scotland. This, combined with Sturgeon’s seeming inability to accept the outcome of a democratic vote, has arguably begun to turn the rest of the UK against her and her cause. Jeremy Clarkson, in an article for The Times, disdainfully wrote that ‘seven years ago the Scottish decided they’d like to be a part of the UK. So now it looks as if they are going to be asked again. And they will keep on being asked until they decide that they would like to go their own way.’  Here, Clarkson highlights the ridiculousness of repeatedly asking the same thing until you get the result you wanted, ultimately undermining democracy. So, with an increasing rate of animosity, it would be best to put the issue to bed before anti-Scottish sentiment takes a further hold on the UK. 

As I said before, I am no politician or economist but it seems to me as if Scottish independence would put the country in a detrimental position. Viewing the prospect of independence without patriotic rose-tinted glasses shows a much harsher and unsympathetic outcome that many Scots may hope for. 

More from Comment:

A Devolution Disaster: Is Indyref 2 on The Horizon?

Tweets, Turmoil and Far too Many Tirades: What Will Trump’s Legacy Be?

Why the Two-Child Benefit Cap Undermines the Pro-Choice Debate