Wildflower, the latest single from 5 Seconds of Summer, is an all-round success, Hannah Lapworth writes

Written by Hannah Lapworth
BA History student, consumes too much coffee.
Images by Alex Goykhman

5 Seconds of Summer have launched a new single off of their new album CALM, with this song fronted by bassist Calum Hood. ‘Wildflower’ is an upbeat, synth tune and is already the vibe for the summer, bringing a laid back atmosphere with it. The tune has that chill pop vibe which you could easily listen to on repeat. Calum’s voice is very emotive too, making it an even more enjoyable listen.

The tune has that chill pop vibe which you could easily listen to on repeat

The chorus is definitely the star of this single. At the beginning of the chorus, the words at the end of the lines ‘You’re the only one who makes me/ Every time we’ are missed out and replaced with strong injections of synth. This adds a mysterious sense to the song, allowing the listener to use their imagination and fill in the blanks. 

The bridge strips the song back into its base chords, a steady drumbeat and some soft, harmonising vocals to build-up to the final chorus. This moment really lets the song breathe, it’s not a momentous point but provides a stripped-back contrast from the synth-heavy song.

Overall, the lyrics are sexy and romantic at the same time (the best kind), the instrumentals are great, and the vocals are superb (Calum Hood stans unite). This is definitely a song that will play amazingly live, with crowd-pleasing backing and shout-worthy lyrics. If you’re a longtime fan or just someone who loves a tune to unwind to now and again, then ‘Wildflower’ is definitely for you.

‘Wildflower’ is available now via Interscope Records