Music Critic Julia van Egmond is very impressed by the collaboration between Billy Lockett and Violet Skies on new single ‘Talk’

Written by Julia van Egmond
Hi! My name is Julia and I am one of Redbrick's music critics. I am especially interested in songs that make a societal / political contribution. My favourite artist is Ben Howard and my favourite song of his is "The Defeat". Have a listen and I hope you enjoy my song selections!

Billy Lockett and Violet Skies have teamed up to write ‘Talk,’ a song about opening up about depression to your loved ones. Billy Lockett is a singer-songwriter who writes beautiful piano music, sometimes including his soothing, deep voice. Violet Skies is a singer-songwriter who is not shy of singing about hard feelings and whose voice reminds most of Ellie Goulding.

Billy Lockett’s beautiful piano skills are eminent from the start. The song is sung from a male and female perspective, in which Billy sings about how he wants to support his love but she is not opening up: ‘Cause I’m trying my best / To love you instead, I’m crying / You’re terrified, I’m giving you time / But you’re pushing me aside for nothing.’ Instead of waving away his partner’s issues, he wants to support her. However, she does not allow him which in turn affects his mental health. 

Billy Lockett’s beautiful piano skills are eminent from the start

Violet Skies’ beautiful and angelic voice joins in the second verse in which she explains: ‘Somеthing ain’t right / Something ain’t right and it’s quietening me down / No sound.’ She is at a loss for words due to her depression. Together they sing about how much they love and support each other during the chorus: ‘I’m listening whenever you’re ready to talk / And I love you, yeah, you know I’ll always be yours.’

During the bridge, the piano melody takes on a faster pace and a violin enhances the sad, tearful feeling. Billy and Violet sing together: ‘Talk to me / ‘Cause I’m hoping, wishing, praying / Are you ever gonna talk to me?’ From the female perspective, these lyrics are a cry for help: she is waiting for her love to ask her what has been going on because she cannot talk about it herself. From the male perspective, these lyrics indicate that he will not push her to open up but her not speaking is affecting his well-being.

This song deals sensitively and beautifully with a difficult topic that undoubtedly many couples have been struggling with during lockdown. The pair’s storytelling, the piano’s support and the beautiful voices have turned this song into a true masterpiece.

‘Talk’ is available now via Billy Lockett

You Might Also Like

Album Review: Julien Baker – Little Oblivions

Single Review: Wolf Alice – Last Man on Earth

A Press Conference for Jon Batiste