Music Critic Georgia Husselbee describes Hunter Hayes’ latest release, ‘The One That Got Away,’ as a brilliant lead single with a special meaning

Written by Georgia Husselbee
Final year History student, Lover of books and music

‘The One That Got Away’ is country artist, Hunter Hayes’ newest release. It is the lead single from his upcoming fifth album Red Sky (Part II). The first part of this album was released in 2019 entitled Wild Blue (Part I). ‘The One That Got Away’ is a big country anthem that is leaning towards the pop genre. This song was created to be blasted in the car and is incredibly uplifting.

This song was created to be blasted in the car and is incredibly uplifting

‘The One That Got Away’ encapsulates freedom. The lyrics refer to being trapped in a bad relationship and finding the courage to leave it and feeling better because of that decision. Hunter Hayes said in a statement that he ‘wrote ‘The One That Got Away’ after having a certain chapter in [his] life end abruptly. At first, [he] saw that change as a bad thing, even though [he’d] played a part in the ending. The song came from realizing that certain things [he] was holding onto so tightly were slowly destroying [him], and from feeling weightless and free once [he] finally let go.’

The lyricism is the stand out of this song and I cannot stop listening. The lyrics of the chorus shine over the top of anthemic drum beats which further emphasise the message of the song. The chorus starts with: ‘I’m the one that got away / Don’t know how I escaped / Breathing better ’cause I’m better now.’ The lyric ‘Breathing better ‘cause I’m better now’ is extremely important and highlights the liberty from the suffocation of his relationship.

The lyricism is the stand out of this song and I cannot stop listening

The song begins with piano and is joined with a subtle percussion beat and lyrics for the first half of the verse. The drum beats heard throughout the song slowly begin to seep in halfway through the first verse but are really felt in the chorus. The drum beats then remain constant throughout the song, until the bridge. Hayes sings, ‘Is it worth the price I paid for staying? / I gave it all, you gave it all away and now / I’m takin’ back the piece of me you wasted.’ He seems to be describing a relationship where he was held back and unable to achieve what he wanted to do.

‘The One That Got Away’ is a brilliant lead single with a special meaning. This song makes me feel light and free. Red Sky (Part II) is yet to have a release date but in the mean-time this song will be on repeat in anticipation of what I am sure will be a deep and meaningful album.

‘The One That Got Away’ is available now via LP Entertainment

You Might Also Like

EP Review: You Me At Six – Adrenaline

Single Review: Olivia Rodrigo – drivers license

Single Review: Ed Sheeran – Afterglow