Music Critic Hannah Gadd reviews Nothing But Thieves’ new single, highlighting its engaging lyricism and softer pop-rock sound

‘Overcome’ marks the second single from the upcoming Nothing But Thieves album, Dead Club City. Taking a step back from the punchy, grittier sound of their previous release ‘Welcome to the DCC’, ‘Overcome’ is a slower, up-tempo track with a subtle 80s rock feel. With its engaging lyricism and quality production, this new release from Nothing But Thieves is an easily captivating pop single.

With its engaging lyricism and quality production, this new release from Nothing But Thieves is an easily captivating pop single

The track opens with nostalgic synths paired with gentle, yet confident, vocals delivered by frontman Conor Mason. Awoken by lively keyboard melodies and a perky drum beat, ‘Overcome’ transforms into a tender but energetic pop song which the band describes as a ‘‘throw your stuff in a bag and get away’ song’. As the pace picks up, the lyrics explore escapism and reconnection, Mason pondering about new beginnings in a display of strong vocal talent. The single’s euphoric chorus is undeniably catchy, and dancing rhythms and charming pop elements ensure the hypnotic track stays in the minds of its listeners.

Whilst adopting a brighter sound than the band’s more rock-influenced music, the shining moment on ‘Overcome’ is the soaring guitar solo towards the end of the track. Climactic and powerful, this solo played by Joe Langridge-Brown pushes the track to be more than a simple pop song, nodding towards the electricity present in their prior release. Although ‘Overcome’ may not be as adventurous as ‘Welcome to the DCC’, the subtle pop-rock track is an effective, hopeful anthem. Out 7th July, Nothing But Thieves’ newest album is shaping up to be a sonically interesting body of work.

Enjoyed this? You also might enjoy:

Live Review: Blur

Album Review: Fall Out Boy – So Much (For) Stardust

Live Review: I Prevail