Music Critic Sammy Andrews takes us through the 2021 Brit Awards

MA Shakespeare Studies student
Images by Caught in Joy

The Brit Awards are a highlight in any year of music in the U.K. and this year was no exception. Postponed slightly due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the show saw a welcoming back to the O2 arena, with a crowd full of key workers. Including performances from some of the biggest names in U.K. pop music at the moment, and the signature Brit figures being awarded, watching it felt like everything was back to normal. The night was a celebration of music, and after the last year, this is something that has been more necessary than ever to celebrate.

The night began with a performance from Brits veterans Coldplay. Their set took place on a boat outside of the O2 Arena, with a performance of their new single ‘Higher Power.’ The bursting of fireworks and technicolour light show proved to be an energetic and exciting opening for the show. The Brits were proven to be back in full force.

For each of Dua Lipa’s awards she dedicated her second statues to Dame Elizabeth Anionwu, a frontline nurse and Folajimi Olubunmi-Adewole

For me, one of the stand-out albums to be released over lockdown was Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia. The Brits certainly gave her the recognition that Future Nostalgia deserved, awarding her British Female Solo Artist and British Album of the Year. This year, the design of the physical award itself enabled artists to keep one statue for themselves and gift a second to someone important in their life. For each of Dua Lipa’s awards she dedicated her second statues to Dame Elizabeth Anionwu, a frontline nurse and Folajimi Olubunmi-Adewole, who sadly passed away in April after jumping into the River Thames to save a woman. Her big wins were dedicated thoughtfully.

The Brits was a massive night for women in music. Very early on in the night Dua Lipa performed a medley of songs from Future Nostalgia, with various costume changes making visual references to iconic British female artists. From the Amy Winehouse beehive, to the Spice Girls Union Jack miniskirt, the performance was a wonderful tribute to the legacy of female artists on the Brits stage. But the biggest standout was that the first ever female group won British Band. Ten years into their career, Little Mix finally took home the award, which seems ridiculous when you think about how prominent they have been in British music over the last decade. In their speech they dedicated their award to the great girl groups before them, from the Spice Girls to All Saints.

Looking back to the women that inspired them, Little Mix also stood as an example of what up and coming female artists can aspire to. This year’s Rising Star Award went to newcomer Griff and was handed over by last year’s winner Celeste. This award will stand Griff in great territory with her career, as proven by the amazing trajectory Celeste’s career has had over the last year. Griff’s performance of ‘Black Hole’ on the night allowed for her real potential as a pop artist to shine. Similarly, the Breakthrough Artist award went to Arlo Parks, whose stripped back performance of ‘Hope’ on the night stood out for the emotive poignancy it held. The show really celebrated emerging talent, even giving eighteen-year-old American artist Olivia Rodrigo a space to perform her hit song ‘Driver’s Licence.’

A real stand out moment for the shows celebration of British music was in the collaboration between Elton John and Olly Alexander for a duet on the Pet Shop Boys’ ‘It’s a Sin.’ A musical tour through queer British music and culture and taken from the recent TV series of the same name, the cover stood as a bold and brilliant statement towards HIV and the conversations surrounding it. Introducing the act, David Furnish stated ‘by fighting together, we’ve changed the world. Today, HIV is no longer a death sentence.’ The performance saw the stage full of confetti, drag queens and two iconic queer figures in British Music both past and present. The cover is now available to stream and all proceeds go to the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

Other prominent figures in the current U.K. music scene such as J. Hus and Harry Styles took home awards on the night for British Male and British Single respectively. It goes without saying that ‘Watermelon Sugar’ was played constantly over the last year, so its winning of British Single comes as no surprise.

Other acts such as BTS and Fontaines D.C. were completely overlooked, it seemed that this year International was synonymous with American for the Brits.

The awards also looked out internationally, or mainly to America in their International award categories. The Weeknd took home the International Male Solo Artist award following his livestreamed performance and a video tape from Michelle Obama awarding him. Haim deservingly won International Group after the incredible year they had with their third album Women in Music Pt. III. Billie Eilish was awarded the International Female Solo Artist award which was for me slightly unexpected. After huge albums from Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus, Billie Eilish, although deserving of this praise seems to have had a relatively quiet year in comparison. Other acts such as BTS and Fontaines D.C. were completely overlooked, it seemed that this year International was synonymous with American for the Brits.

That being said, the biggest award of the night, the Global Icon award, was given to Taylor Swift. This has only ever been awarded to David Bowie, Elton John and Robbie Williams, making Swift the first female recipient and the youngest. With the surprise release of Folklore and Evermore over the last year, and her re-recording of Fearless (Taylor’s Version) Swift proves time and time again in her career that she is able to reinvent and remain relevant whilst constantly pushing boundaries and paving the way for younger artists. Her career spanning over fifteen years is a testament to her position as a global icon, and I think that this award was so well deserved.

The show closed with a heartfelt performance from Rag ‘n’ Bone Man and Pink! that was also joined by the NHS choir. The powerful performance of ‘Anywhere Away From Here’ closed the show with a touching tribute to the key workers both in the crowd and at home. The track has been released and all proceeds will go towards Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Charity and NHS Charities Together.

The 2021 Brit awards were, more than anything, a welcoming back to normality and a celebration of music. The show, in its various performance’s paid homage to a rich history of British music and an exciting future for it. Women won big this year and hopefully will continue to receive this recognition that for a long time has been neglected. But putting who beat who aside, it was just so lovely to watch the Brits again and to celebrate a year in music, even if it took a little bit longer to get here.

_________________________________________________________________________________________   You Might Also Like:

https://www.redbrick.me/single-review-the-black-keys-going-down-south/

https://www.redbrick.me/an-ode-to-girl-bands/

https://www.redbrick.me/live-preview-moseley-folk-arts-festival/