Life&Style Writer Alice Poole gives her tips on how we can transform Miu Miu’s high fashion FW23 collection into campus couture

Written by Alice Poole
Second year BA English student

As students, we don’t typically look to high fashion as a source of style inspiration. After all, couture is too expensive, too exclusive, and too formal, right? Well, to an extent that is true, but that doesn’t mean that the runway can’t influence our looks. I believe Miu Miu’s 2023 Fall/Win

ter Collection, headed by Miuccia Prada, is one such collection that students should look to if searching for style inspiration. In this article I will highlight my three favourite pieces that Miu Miu showcase, and how they provide the key intersection required for any truly stylish, everyday outfit: timelessness, trendiness, and practicality. 

TIMELESS COATS

In colder months, a good winter coat is paramount, and Miuccia Prada definitely highlights that in this collection. A range of jackets are showcased in this collection, including my personal favourite, a Nappa leather jacket worn by Mia Goth, the celebrity guest who opened the show. On their Instagram, Miu Miu describes these coats as ‘a vintage inspiration meets a contemporary allure’. I think the jackets in this collection are a fantastic representation of the ‘timeless style’ that the brand strives for.

Prada frequently pairs these coats with monochromatic garments, so as to elevate each individual piece into a cohesive, sophisticated ensemble. These also often combine different textures, which gives such seemingly straightforward looks a further degree of intrigue. However, a quality Winter coat can be costly, particularly one that matches a colour scheme. 

For a look that is both more versatile and timeless, invest in jackets of block colours

For a more accessible alternative, I suggest browsing mainstream retailers like H&M, Mango, or Zara. These outlets offer durable coats, generally made with quality materials. For a look that is both more versatile and timeless, invest in jackets of block colours, such as black, white, or brown, which blend cohesively with a variety of palettes.

TRENDY TIGHTS 

Fashion editor Anna Laplaca posits that Miu Miu has always been an arbiter of a certain youthful and quirky, if rebellious, aesthetic’, and I believe this can certainly be seen in this collection. Miuccia Prada brings trendiness through detail, primarily in colour schemes and accessories. One such detail that plays a key role in this collection’s appeal to me are the selection of hosiery. 

Many of Miu Miu’s Fall/Winter looks showcase exposed, stocking-clad legs. This may not immediately jump out as best for a student, simply trying to brave the cold Birmingham Winter, and certainly, I don’t particularly advocate for some of the more revealing boy-shorts and tights combinations for around campus. However, styled correctly, tights can be both pretty and practical. 

If wanting to showcase hosiery in your outfit in a way that prioritises both trend and comfort, I recommend a fleece lined stocking. For an affordable option, look no further than M&S, which offers these in classic nude or black. Alternatively, if you are partial to a true Miu Miu inspired stocking – with a pop of colour and interesting texture – I recommend White Stuff’s Patty Plain Versatile Tights, which offer colours such as plum, teal, and chartreuse, to name a few. 

PRACTICAL HOODIES

No student wants to be walking to their nine am lecture in an outfit that, though stylish, does nothing to protect against the frigid morning air

In Winter, warmth and comfort are paramount. No student wants to be walking to their nine am lecture in an outfit that, though stylish, does nothing to protect against the frigid morning air. As such, articles including hoodies, sweatshirts and jumpers often take the spotlight. 

Despite being a high-fashion brand, these components are also central to many of the outfits in Miu Miu’s collection. By including items such as zippered hoodies into this collection, Prada shows how popular, basic articles can be elevated into trendy, runway pieces. Prada pairs their hoodies with oversized coats, so as to create interesting, layered silhouettes. These mostly draw from a classic autumnal palette of subdued earth tones which, when combined, make for a desaturated yet colourful ensemble, that isn’t overly garish or dramatic.

As well as experimenting with colour, Miu Miu also explores the layering of materials and textures. This is showcased in the collection through the pairing of cotton hoodies with loden cloth coats, velour trenches, or shearling jackets. Though some of these textures may be inaccessible for the average student, the act of experimenting with different colours and materials doesn’t have to be. Layering is an accessible way to elevate any outfit without detracting from the comfort that is essential for a student. 

It doesn’t take the intense production of high fashion, to create a high fashion look.

When it comes to student clothing, having the latest fancy fashions is less important than having style itself. This collection demonstrates how layering, experimenting with colour and texture, and integrating stand-out details can turn wardrobe staples—which most students will have on repeat—into coherent, elevated outfits. It doesn’t take the intense production of high fashion, to create a high fashion look.

Read more like this from Life&Style here:

Guide To: Sustainable Shopping in Birmingham

Guide To: Latte Dressing

The Skincare Diaries: Sunscreen