Sport Writer Will Rogers assesses Italy’s success at the recent Six Nations and debates whether they should stay in the competition

Hi! I'm Will. I'm a fourth year history of warfare student at the University of Birmingham. My main hobbies are playing squash and dodgeball and I also enjoy reading about history, geography and sport.

Kieran Hardy box kicks. Eduardo Padovani gives the ball to Ange Capuozzo who breaks a tackle, puts in some footwork and gives the ball back to Padovani who dives over. Paolo Garbisi kicks. Famous Italian victory. Yet this victory in Cardiff did more than break Italy’s thirty-six match losing streak in the Six Nations. It showed progress for a growing international force, a side that more than deserves its place at rugby’s highest table.

For many years there have been clamours for the Six Nations to give Georgia a chance, in whatever shape that may take. This year, however, Italy showed an emergence, producing spirited performances against France and Scotland, and against Ireland in complicated circumstances. Yet it was against Wales on the final afternoon that some of their young stars came to the fore. In Capuozzo, Monty Ioane and Garbisi they have energetic, exciting backs that can light up the championship, and with Matteo Minozzi to come back, their backline looks secure for years to come. For many years they have lacked reliable try scorers and place kickers to keep the scoreboard ticking over, so securing these fundamentals will give them every chance. Led by Michele Lamaro, the pack seems to be finally escaping the shadow of Sergio Parisse as they try and match the physicality of their established counterparts.

Although the major commercial focus may be on the men’s championship, Italy have proven their status throughout the competitions. Their women have only picked up the wooden spoon once since 2010 (not including the incomplete tournament in 2020), and finished ninth at the most recent World Cup in 2017, ahead of established nations like South Africa, Japan and Scotland. Moreover, their under-20 men’s teams have had growing success, claiming three victories this year, including shutting out a fancied England side. As these players start to come through, the Italian side will only get more established and balanced as they take on the more traditional powers.

the Italian side will only get more established and balanced as they take on the more traditional powers

It’s not just at the national level that Italy are growing. Benetton have emerged as a team to be feared at club level. Their greatest achievement was reaching the 2018-19 Pro14 quarter finals, before losing a very tight match against two-time European champions Munster. Although Zebre have lacked some consistency, there is definitely scope for growth for the Italian provincial sides.

The team most fancied to break into the European elite is Georgia, and there have been numerous calls for there to be a playoff between them and Italy. Yet one has to remember that Georgia has never beaten Italy, nor any of the other Six Nations’ sides. Georgia have won every Rugby European Championship since 2011 bar one, but their performances in the Autumn Internationals would not lead to anyone believing that they would be any better than Italy. However, Italy have beaten France, Wales, Scotland, South Africa and Ireland in the last decade, whilst consistently attracting audiences of over 60,000 to the Stadio Olimpico. Italy’s Autumn Internationals against South Africa and Australia later this year must show some signs of promise if the growing support behind Italy is to remain.

Off the field there are several reasons for why we should root for Italy. Firstly, thousands of fans take the opportunity to enjoy a spring break in Rome and soak in the history and culture, along side the great atmosphere. Whilst Tbilisi is beautiful and holds many famous landmarks, it is not as simple to fly to and holds several political risks in the current climate. Moreover the Georgian team is widely sponsored by former Prime Minister and billionaire, Bidzina Ivanishvili. Whilst his support may help with the infrastructure, it is not sustainable and may struggle to be replicated in the future. Rugby is a growing sport and popular around the globe, with emerging nations like Japan and Argentina giving rugby fans new destinations to travel to, yet Georgia should be given an opportunity outside of the Six Nations, given the relative Italian success.

Overall, Italian rugby is in a strong place, both on and off the field, and allowing the current generation to shine may see many more wins against some of rugby’s powerhouses. Although any titles look a long way off, Italy will continue to fight at rugby’s top level as the sport continues to grow.