Life&Style writer Erin Butler shares her thoughts on the best and worst looks from the Met Gala 2023

Written by Erin Butler 31

Once again, it’s time for the most anticipated fashion event of the year. Fashion police at the ready; it’s MET GALA season!

From Rhianna’s iconic fluffy pizza moment to Jared Leto’s catsuit; this year’s theme of, ‘Karl Lagerfeld – A line of Beauty’ has brought its own range of weird and wonderful looks. The theme paid homage to fashion director, Karl Lagerfeld creating a rather black and white colour palette, with a few feline exceptions. With all this said, to properly rank the best and worst looks from 2023 I had to create categories.

Most Boring Look

With their entourage of makeup artists and hair stylists, the Met Gala should be the fashion event that showcases the creativity of designers on the given theme. Looking flawless just doesn’t cut it at the Met Gala. Sadly, this was the case for young billionaire Kylie Jenner who wore Jean Paul Gaultier. Whilst Jenner stunned in the red number, she must take the most boring look of the night.

Rhianna never fails to push her Met Gala looks to the limit, and, with a bump on show, the singer looked truly ethereal in white

Best Couple

2023 also brought some elegant couple entrances to the carpet. Robert Pattinson and Suki Waterhouse made their debut in a bohemian style. But the award for best couple must go to Rhianna and A$AP Rocky. Rhianna never fails to push her Met Gala looks to the limit, and, with bump on show, the singer looked truly ethereal in white. Rocky also stuck true to theme in his kilted homage to Lagerfeld.

The Worst Looks

At the other end of the spectrum, are the worst looks of the night. Firstly, Doja Cat who came as, you guessed it – a cat! Dressed by Oscar de la Renta, the singer’s ball gown truly shone under the flashing lights. I would even go as far to say the addition of the cat ears to the piece was a welcomed nudge to Lagerfeld’s adored cat Choupette.

However, what tips her into the worst category is the overshadowing makeup, including the use of prosthetics. Need I remind you the event should be focused on the dress of the night – not the make-up. Similarly, Jared Leto’s catsuit, also inspired by Choupette, was too fancy dress for my taste. Both took their inspiration to unnecessary limits. As for Lil Nas X. What can I say? His look simply raises questions. Where is the theme? Can you have too much glitter? How warm is the Costume Institute?

it seems the simplism of the natural beauty in Dua Lipa’s gown truly won the night for me

The Best Looks

Now, for the looks that served us all complete perfection. Sticking true to the theme in every way, Kristen Stewart’s tailored, Chanel suit had to be one of my personal favourites. Alongside Stewart is Olivia Rodrigo, who portrayed an image of Hollywood glam at its finest in her black and white string piece, fitted by Thom Browne.

One who deserves a mention is comedian extraordinaire Mindy Kaling, whose silver dress really turned heads on the night. Finally, whilst I welcomed the lavish extravagance of Florence Pugh’s towering headpiece, it seems the simplism of the natural beauty in Dua Lipa’s gown truly won the night for me. Her off-white, seemingly cotton, ball gown exhibited the beauty of fashion in both its extravagance and naturalism.

Read More from Life&Style:

‘Dressing Down’ or ‘Dressing Dull’: What is Coachella telling us about festival fashion?

The Rise of the Silver Female Fox

Dating as a Feminist: Taylor Swift’s New Relationship with Matty Healy