Digital Editor Halima Ahad reviews JVKE’s newest single, praising the song’s emotional depth

third year eng & creative writing, aspiring journalist, former culture editor and current digital editor <3
Images by @JVKE on Facebook

JVKE, best known for his hit single ‘golden hour’, returns with the heartbreaking tune ‘this is what winter feels like.’ The song has also the emotional feels which make you ponder upon those who may have let you down in your life. The song’s accompanying tune ‘this is what autumn feels like’ shows how JVKE is exploring heartbreak in different seasons.

JVKE explores how heartbreak can change one as a person in his lyrics…

JVKE explores how heartbreak can change one as a person in his lyrics. ‘I stare at my reflection / I don’t recognize myself’ illustrates how people succumb to the pain and loss of their loved one that they become numb and do not feel like themselves anymore. ‘Call me on the phone, but I’m outta range / When I’m all up in the mountain ranges’ shows how heartbreak and anguish can result in distancing yourself from your loved ones.

…the melody gradually begins to haunt listeners as he reminisces on heartbreak, anguish and grief of losing someone…

JVKE exclusively tells Ones To Watch how he wanted the track ‘to feel cold from start to finish’ and give listeners ‘the same chill as a windy winter night.’ This translates into the instrumentals paired with the singer’s vocals, it is dreamy at first but as the song progresses the melody gradually begins to haunt listeners as he reminisces on heartbreak, anguish and grief of losing someone you thought you never would.

Enjoyed this? You might also like:

Single Review: Suki Waterhouse- OMG

Single Review: Ariana Grande- yes, and?

Album Review: Eliza McLamb- Going Through It